Uma Girish is a Grief Guide, Certified Life Purpose Coach and Award-Winning Author. Her latest book, published by Hay House, is a transformational memoir called Losing Amma, Finding Home: A Memoir about Love, Loss and Life’s Detours . Following her own journey through grief and loss, Uma is committed to helping women find new purpose from the ashes of their loss so they can lead a life of meaning and joy. Uma hosts a weekly podcast called The Grammar of Grief and also writes a blog by the same name. She is also the co-founder of the International Grief Council which seeks to impart the message that grief is a universal language we speak, irrespective of color, race, country or culture.
Some Points We Discussed
- The traumatic event of losing her mom led Uma to redefine what her life was about.
- She learnt that the situation of loss is an invitation to expand.
- Every ending always has a hidden new beginning.
- Obstacles are often an invitation to deepen our souls.
- It is important to open ourselves up to the pain rather than contracting from it.
- In order to embrace pain, we need to find a comforting container:
- We could connect with someone who can bear witness and listen to our story.
- Or we could turn to our journal. A blank page doesn’t judge our pain and fears.
- Open yourself up to the pain and listen to what the pain is telling you.
- Recognise life’s detours as an awakening of your soul.
- During life’s detours,we are faced with a choice to make.
- You choose the safe option or you choose the unknown.
- The challenge of embracing your pain is to have faith in taking baby steps on an unknown journey.
- Trust that your soul knows the direction. Feel the fear but walk with faith.
- We cannot hear our soul’s wisdom if we aren’t silent.
Find Uma on Social Media